Each competitor must carry a number of mandatory items on his/her person at all times as a minimum safety standard while on the course.
Competitors will encounter checkpoints along the course where race officials may check for mandatory gear. Race officials will issue time penalties for missing items.
The following lists outline the required equipment. These lists do not constitute a complete inventory of gear that a competitor should carry. The lists may be subject to change. Participants will be notified of any changes to the mandatory gear requirements in advance of the event.
Each person is responsible for carrying his or her own appropriate equipment and clothing for the climate, conditions and activities. SCI will provide Fueling Bags each morning, but you may choose to bring additional food. You should bring at least 100 oz. of water up the mountain with you each day.
MANDATORY GEAR FOR EACH COMPETITOR
(One set per individual participant)
- Waterproof jacket (this is determined by looking inside the jacket at the seams. If they are not “sealed” then the jacket does not meet the waterproof standard. Most GORE-TEX® jackets have taped seams)
- Whistle (very useful if team gets separated inadvertently)
- Emergency blanket (lightweight, Mylar-type material, thermal)
- Headlamp or flashlight (not on cell phone)
- Wool or synthetic cap (this should NOT be cotton – takes longer to dry if it gets wet)
- Capacity to carry a minimum of one liter of water
MANDATORY GEAR FOR EACH TEAM
(One set per team)
- Antibacterial ointment
- Small assortment of band-aids
- 3” ace bandage
- 6 doses of anti-inflammatory medication (e.g. Ibuprofen)
- 6 doses of antihistamine medication (e.g. Benadryl)
- Pocket knife
- Epinephrine for those with anaphylactic reactions (venom allergies, etc.)SUGGESTED (not required)
SUGGESTED (not required)
- Dry bag for all gear (Ziploc bags will work)
- Neoprene gloves
- Hydration pack
- Extra pair of lightweight shoes (to wear in the canoe)
- Sunglasses with retention strap
- Extra socks
- Anti-blister lubricant (e.g. Hydropel)
- Easy to eat and access snacks